- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 6
- Total Time: 45 min
Additionally, at step 1, you could add 3 tablespoons cooked rice, diced apple, cooked potato , etc. Any ingredient can be added in order to customize this lentil dish to your liking.
- 1 Cup, split Masoor dal (Red Lentils)
- 1/2 ground turmeric
- 1-2 fresh hot green chilies , finely chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 dried hot red chili
- 1/2 medium shallot/small sweet onion, peeled and cut into very fine slivers
- Wash lentils thoroughly, place in a heavy botton sauce pan with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, skimming off any froth that rises to the top.
- Stir in turmeric, green chilies, and garlic. Cover partially and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, add salt.
- Put the oil in a small frying pan and set over medium high heat. When hot, add cumin seeds, let them sizzle for 3 seconds. Add the red chili and stir until it darkens. Add the shallots and fry until they turn redish brown.
- Add the contents of the pan over the dal. Cover with tight fitting lid to trap aromas. Stir before serving.