- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 8
- Total Time: 45 min
- 2½ C all-purpose flour
- ½ C sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, frozen and thawed in the microwave till the sides give slightly when squeezed
- 1 C milk
- Preheat oven to 450° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt till combined. Using a grater with medium sized holes, grate the butter into the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, quickly cut the butter into the flour mixture until the largest pieces are the size of a pea and all the butter is evenly distributed.
- Pour milk into the center of the flour mixture and mix with a spoon to combine. As soon as the mixture begins to come together into a ball, dump it out onto a lightly floured countertop.
- Knead the dough once and turn the dough ¼ of a turn. Knead the dough again and turn ¼ of a turn. Continue 2 more times until the dough has made one complete circle and been kneaded 4 times.
- Separate the dough into 2 balls. With your hands, flatten each ball into a disc that is 1” high and approximately 8” in diameter. Cut the dough disc once horizontal and once vertically to make 4 triangles. Place the Repeat with the other ball of dough.
- Place all scones evenly apart on the baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Immediately remove scones from the baking sheet and serve warm with butter and jam.