Grilled King Salmon with Bacon, Fava Bean, and Salsa Verde
- Complexity: Medium
- Srv: 4
- Total Time: 30 min
- 1 ea 4 Qt pot
- 1 ea large skillet/saute pan
- 1 ea blender
- 1 ea fish spatula
- 1 ea grill
- 1 ea strainer/spider
- 1 ea chefs knife or paring knife
- 4 5oz King Salmon portions, skin on, scales removed
- 1 bunch ramps (may substitute spring onions)
- 6 oz slab bacon
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 lb fava beans
- 1/2 lbs morel mushrooms
- 1 c fish or chicken stock
- 1 lb English peas
- 1 lbs nettles
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 lemons zested
- 1 tbls capers
- ½ tsp chili flake
- 6 ea anchovy filet
- ½ c olive oil
- 1 tbls butter
- 1 cup sunflower oil+ 2 Tbls set aside
- ¼ c white wine
- Kosher salt
- Preheat grill to medium high and gently rub the 2 tbls of sunflower oil over the salmon portions and liberally season with salt. Let fish stay at room temperature.
- While the grill heats, fill a 4 qt pot with 3 qts water and 1 c kosher salt turn heat on high.
- Shuck the fava beans and English peas and set aside. Cut the stem from the morel mushrooms and cut the mushrooms in half and set aside. Trim the root of the ramp from the base and cut the ramps into 2 inch slices, then slice the asparagus on a bias. Small dice the slab bacon and set aside.
For the Nettle Salsa Verde
- Using gloves pull the leaf from the stems, discarding the stems. Blanch the leaves for 30 seconds in the salted boiling pot of water. Remove with a strainer and put into and ice water bath. cool for 1 minute. Do not turn off the pot of water. It will be used to blanch and remove the outer shell of the fava beans.
- When the nettles are cool, rough chop and put into a blender with the garlic cloves, chile flakes, zest from the 2 lemons, capers, anchovy, the remaining sunflower oil as well as the olive oil and blend in a blender to make a paste. Remove from the blender and set aside.
- Blanch the fava beans for 10 seconds in the boiling water and remove with a strainer to an ice bath. Once cool, peel the outer shell of the fava beans.
For Assembling The Dish
- Gently place the salmon flesh side down onto the hot grill. Meanwhile heat a large skillet on medium heat with the butter and the diced bacon for 1-2 minutes, add the ramps and morels and cook for another minute then add the white wine. After 30 seconds add the peas, fava beans, asparagus and fish stock and let cook for 2 more minutes.
- While the vegetables finish cooking, gently flip the salmon onto the skin side using a fish spatula and cook for another 2 minutes for medium rare. Cook longer for more well done fish.
- Taste to see if the vegetables need salt. Using a large spoon divide the vegetables onto four dishes. Spread 2 Tbls of the nettle verde onto the plates and place the salmon on the vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil if desired. Serve and Enjoy!