Pork Shoulder Ingredients:
- 1.5 - 2 lbs All natural pork shoulder
- 1/4 cup Capers, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Anchovies, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup Walla Walla Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 quarts Chicken stock, or enough to cover meat
- 2 cups White Wine
- Olive Oil
Pork Shoulder Directions:
Find a cast iron pan or pot large enough to fit the pork and braising liquid. Season the pork with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat pan over high heat and add some olive oil. The oil should just start to look like its smoking. Add pork to the pan and sear until a deep golden brown on all sides. Remove the pork from the pan and turn down the heat to medium. Add garlic, anchovy and caper. Cook stirring frequently until it reaches a rich brown color and is toasty and caramelized, Add the diced onions and cook until just softened and slightly colored. Add white wine and chicken stock and bring to boil. Add back the pork and bring back to a simmer. The pork should be just covered. Simmer until fork tender and falling apart. Approximately 2 hours. Let pork cool in the braise until cool enough to handle. Shred the pork and add back the braise to make it a nice saucy meaty consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This can be done a day or two in advance and reheated when needed if you like.
Grilled Sweet Onions Ingredients:
- 4-6 Small Walla Walla Sweet Onion, peeled, root on and quartered
- 1/4 cup Aged sheeps cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Smoked Olive Oil, to garnish
- 1/4 cup Lovage, chopped, to garnish
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Grilled Sweet Onions Directions:
Just before you want to serve this, have your grill good and hot. Dress your quartered onions with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions for a few minutes on each side until just tender but with still a little crunch. Remove from grill.
Final Presentation and Assembly:
- Spoon the delicious hot pork sauce onto the middle of a plate or platter.
- Lay the grilled onions on the pork.
- Finish by sprinkling the grated cheese and toasted walnuts over the pork and onions.
- Drizzle some smoked olive oil.
- Serve and enjoy!